Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The Great Pizza Adventure #4 - Marcos

It turns out that the eating is the easiest part of this adventure, except when the pizza sits like a lead dough ball in your gut because them vittles were so delicious that you ate half the pie.

We used to get Marcos a few times a year because we had coupons in those coupon books kids sell in school and while there isn't one close to my current house there was one on the way home from picking up my kids.  It's probably been eight years since I've stepped foot inside that establishment... and I've been missing something good.

The online ordering process was pain-free.  I was given a 20-30 minute window and arrived at the 20 minute mark to a pizza that was waiting for me.  Most likely it had been there for five minutes because mine was the only pizza.  Their estimating software needs some work.  I was in and out in a flash.

I used their special of $6.99 for a one-topping medium 12" pizza, half pepperoni, half italian sausage.  Here's the glorious beast: 


17 Pepperonies... that's 4 more than Hungry Howie's put on a large!  Only 13 sausage chunks but some of these were biiiig chunks, almost like mini meatballs.  The sauce was on the sweet side and there was a lot of it.  I'm a guy who likes a lot of sauce but this may have even been a bit much... while driving and scarfing down yummies I got attached by a glunk of sauce... TWICE!  There seemed to be an average amount of cheese and the crust was a great blend of crisp and chewy.  I had no problem eating the pizza bones.

Overall the pizza was quite savory.  While the pepperonis didn't seem to have much of an identity the sausage was packed with flavor.  And even with the large amount of sauce and eating five slices (I blame the fact that it was a medium so I could eat more than usual) I didn't have heartburn. 

Stats-wise, this one weighed 27 oz and was a full twelve inches in diameter (113 square inches of pizza).  Kudos on accurate sizing!


 

So how about those stats?

Weight: 27 oz
Diameter: 12" 
Cost: $7.55

Service:8
Crust:8
Sauce:7
Toppings: 7 (quantity) + 8 (flavor) / 2 = 7.5
Value: 6 (28 cents per ounce) / 6.7 cents per square inch

                  Overall Score:7.3

                  Flavor Score: 7.7

I recently watched a YouTube video where a guy stole my thunder and weighed the pepperonis and bought multiple pizzas to get a more accurate picture, etc.  Hey, I don't have that kinda dough.  But what he did do, which is smart, was to buy a 14" large from each place.  That would likely give a more accurate "value" estimate, I suppose, but I'm all about cheap.  

More upswing with this pizza adventure!

 

 

No comments: