Wednesday, February 16, 2022

All King's X All The Time

Because I wasn't wanting my kids exposed to constant commercials while listening to Spotify I decided to sign up for a family membership.  It hurts me to pay a company knowing that the artists receive so little for their work but maybe I can just leave my playlist on repeat 24/7.  

I wasn't a Spotify user before this but since I was paying for it I decided to give it a whirl.  Maybe I can get some good music recommendations.  Not yet, but maybe one day Spotify will be able to figure out my schizophrenic music tastes.

One thing I did, though, was to create a play list of every King's X album.  They are certain in my top tier bands, although it's really only the first five that are their best.  So far I'm seventy songs into their 151song catalog and I've been enjoying hearing songs from the albums that don't get a lot of play.  I'm one of the weirdos that really likes Mr. Bulbous but the most recent one (from a decade ago?) and the Black Like Sunday don't get many listens.  In fact, I actually disliked Black Like Sunday and while hearing it again I can hear some juvenile bits, it's not too bad.  And overall, even the albums I didn't care for much are pretty high quality... certainly much better that a lot of tripe out there.  Perhaps the reason I didn't like some of those albums is because you wait and wait for a new album, knowing that whatever you get is going to have to tide you over for a few years so it had better be great.  But instead of being amazing it's just really good.  And it certainly isn't as good as those magic early albums where pixie dust was seemingly sprinkled on every song.  So you're let down.  But I'm able to appreciate and enjoy hearing these out of historical context.

 Yeah, a stupid entry but that's where I am these days.

1 comment:

Ricky said...

I was a big fan of the first four albums, but then they lost something hard to define. I think producer Sam Taylor had a lot more to do with the magic of those first few albums than most people realize (or want to admit).