Wednesday, January 18, 2023

99.9% Is Not Enough

My wife and I recently watched a testimony video where a guy enthusiastically spoke of his conversion for about thirty-five minutes.  And by “enthusiastic” I mean he maybe took three breaths during that thirty-five minutes.  It was a great and amazing testimony (Video here).  

But I’m not sure it was all that inspiring.  One of the things he said what that at one point he actually heard God say “Isaiah, I won’t accept just 99.9% from you.”  I’ve heard this from preachers before, that God wants ALL of us.  Every last piece of us should be willing to serve God in whatever way He wants.

I totally get it.  Jesus gave everything for us so we should be willing to give everything back. 

But I also don’t get it.  I mean, it’s obviously not a requirement for salvation, so what is it?  From his story and how he talked, I doubt this Saldivar guy ever did anything with less than 105%.  The apostle Paul was the same way, zealously persecuting the Church and then God whipped him around and he just as zealously pursued God’s way. 

What about the most of us who aren’t constantly exploding with energy at everything we do?  Or those of us who have been let down so consistently by people (including the church) that even trusting someone 25% is a big deal?  I’ve been increasing my trust in allowing God control over my life over these past decades, and while I trust Him more than any person, I’m still nowhere near even 80%.  So where does that leave me?

 

 

1 comment:

The Old Man said...

You're fine. You want to know why? Because God knows you. He knows your heart and his mercy is far bigger than anything else. I don't think he expects all the same things out of all the same people necessarily. Give yourself some grace and mercy.