Thursday, May 2, 2013

Symphonic Finale

Today is the day. The last symphonic trip through memory lane. Sorry it's been more enjoyable for me in being able to hear the music that it was for you in having to skip over my posts where I write out 'em. For the last one I settled on Dvorak's razzamataz wing-ding #9. I bet that's the first time the New World sympony's been called that! I learned a very important lessons: Russians in 1965 did not have access to cough drops. Or at least they have no problems with warfing all over the place during a recording session. But now I come to a very difficult decision, one which will require the consultation of my psychic friend: What's next? I ran a query in my ultra-dorky homegrown classical music database and settled on a mishmash of works I have labeled as "Orchestral Songs", "Other Orchestral", "Symphonic Poem" and "Tone Poem." It's a real mishmash of 350+ compositions encompassing three minute Slavonic Dances, The Planets, synthesizer compositions by Synergy, pieces by Steve Reich, Scott Johnson, P.D.Q. Bach... It's going to be a wild trip! Plus there are a number of duplicates (three versions of Night on Bald Mountain [or Bare, if you dare] and four versions of The Unanswered Question) but still, it might take me through to the end of the year. But it's all good, trippin' down nostalgia avenue and taking the time to enjoy these compositions again.

No comments: