Friday, June 15, 2018

Biscuits and Gravy Bonus Review: Cracker Barrel

I wasn't raised on biscuits and gravy. In fact, I didn't try them until I was well into my teens. However probably my first experience with this heavenly combination was at Cracker Barrel. They haven't changed much in the last thirty years... but I have. I used to love, love, love Cracker Barrel's biscuits and gravy but... Let's take a look at them and see how they stack up, eh?

Well, not actually a look because I didn't have my camera with me. If you've had 'em you know how they are... these buggers are amazingly consistent.

First up is the biscuit. They are on the small side, somewhat dense, and uniformly shaped. They are also buttery, rich, and slightly salty. You can eat one or two and not feel like there's concrete in your aorta. An order of biscuits and gravy will net you three such gentlemanly rounds while you get two gratis with most meals.

The gravy is devoid of meat. Sawmill, I think it's called. It has an almost pudding-like consistency, is as polite and un-offending in flavor as the biscuits, and comes in a small bowl. Small is the key here because I doubt you get even a cup of the stuff, but the biscuits are so dainty that this amount is usually enough.

For $3.99 it's a bit disappointing, value-wise. If you get the biscuits with your meal and add a side of gravy (for nearly two bucks) then it's a nice bonus. I'd say these are pleasant, every-day biscuits and gravy, not sometime to rave about but good enough to look forward to.

Biscuits - 8
Gravy - 6
Value - 3
Service - 5
GRAND TOTAL - 5.5

No comments: