Monday, June 11, 2018

Biscuits and Gravy Review: Comfort Food Cafe

I was originally going to try Revitalize Health Bar because I have been seeing Biscuits and Gravy on their sidewalk sign for months. However it turns out that last week was their last week for serving Biscuits and Gravy. Come back in the fall, they said. Such is life.

So instead I went to the Comfort Food Cafe. This sounds like a diner but it's in the basement of Citizens Square, the office building that houses the mayor, his minions, and other various public employees. Which is to say that the digs are not glamorous.

Comfort Food Cafe used to be the cafeteria for a local insurance company before they consolidated and no longer needed the building, so it looks like a cafeteria. At 9:00 AM on a Monday the place was a complete ghost town. I looked around, peeked in the back, and finally saw a bell by the cash register. One ringy-dingy. Someone came out of the back pronto. I gave my order and it was served up and paid for within about ninety seconds. Speedy!

With that kind of speed there's obviously no time for toasting the biscuits. I could see them clearly when he pulled them from either a refrigerator or a hot box, probably the later. The gravy was in a big metal tub on the grill.

As you can see, the emphasis it not on appearance. Yes, it kind of looks like a Styrofoam tray filled with vomit. Let's dig in, shall we?

Their sign says "Homemade" and it's possible that the biscuits are homemade. There's nothing wrong with them but they don't stand out. The gravy was of a very nice consistency and was full of sausage. It was also full of pepper. I know lots of guys like lots of pepper but I'm not one of them. It's two hours later and I'm still feeling a slight sting on the roof of my mouth. It wasn't way over the top spicy, just more than I'm inclined to enjoy. But flavor-wise, it was quite good and appeared to be homemade. It was also ladled up in an amazing quantity such that I had some left over, which isn't normal.

I mean, there was so much food for $5.25 that I was full after just one biscuit. However I soldiered on and finished, thus earning my yet another medal in the clean plate club.

Biscuits - 5
Gravy - 6
Value - 8
Service - 9
GRAND TOTAL - 7.0

UPDATE: I was so full that I skipped lunch and didn't eat again until almost three o-clock. A half-order is definitely the way to go.

No comments: