Wednesday, November 4, 2020

The Great Pizza Adventure #2 - Domino's



When I get a hankerin' for take-out pizza Domino's is not my choice.  I don't have any political axe to grind against them, it's just not what my taste buds crave.  However it's been a number of years since their pizza graced my mouth so let's see if anything changed.

I ordered online after 12:30 on a weekday and found the website to be a bit clunky.  It was easy to order my pizza but I had to click through an annoying number of pages where I had to decline add-ons or donations to organizations.  Then it wouldn't let me order as a guest so I had to put in my personal information.  Not cool, pizza dudes.

My pizza was ready about ten minutes after I ordered.  El yeah!  Actually picking up the pizza was quick and easy, so that offsets the wonky web site just a bit.  The best coupon I could find was a two topping pizza for $8.99 ($9.62 including tax).  Methinks it was advertised as a large.

So... what's in the box?  It looks pretty yummy and smells good.  Without the box it weighed 29.2 ounces and was 11.5 inches across, about 104 square inches of pizza.   



There wasn't much sauce (I like a lot of sauce) and what there was didn't have much flavor.  Still, the pizza was far from dry and far from greasy... a very nice middle.  The crust had a good crunch but again, lacked any strong character.  It was about this time that I remembered that the reason why I didn't usually order from Domino's is that the pizza is merely two steps away from bland.  It's good, mind you (better than almost every frozen pizza) but not even close to "party in your mouth" great. 

As best as I can count, my pizza had 22 pepperonis and around 30 pieces of sausage.  Adequate.  The flavor of these was the highlight of the pie but even though it was not mind-blowing.  I ended up eating half the pizza for lunch (with the last piece sprinkled with garlic powder for more taste-bud happiness) and my belly was happy.


So how about those stats?

Weight: 29.2 oz
Diameter: 11.5" 
Cost: $9.62

Service:5
Crust:7
Sauce:5
Toppings: 5 (quantity) + 6 (flavor) / 2 = 5.5
Value: 5 (33 cents per ounce) / 9.3 cents per square inch

                  Overall Score:5.5

                  Flavor Score: 6.0

Congratulations Domino's... you beat Pizza King.  That's not really something to brag about but there you go.


October 2021 Update:

I needed to pick up a pizza to take to someone who was helping me out with a wood working project and the closest place to his house was a Dominoes.... on the south side of town... a few hundred yards away from the Wendys that served me biscuits and gravy that tasted like cigarettes.

So yeah, I was a bit hesitant.  I ordered online and was reminded at how horrible the Dominoes web site is.  I had to decline four up-sales offers... I JUST WANT A PIZZA!!!!  I picked 12:15 for pickup and arrived at 12:05.  Surely it would be early, right?  These places are ALWAYS earlier than the 15-20 minute estimate.  Not this time, Sherlock!  However at 12:15 on the nose my pizza came out of the oven, so at least it was night and hot.  No pictures or measurements but I've gotta say that the south location makes a very good pizza!  The crust had a nice crunch, there were ample toppings, and overall it tasted very good, possible a 7.0 on the ol' Flavor Score.  Kuddos, Dominoes!


No comments: