Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Biscuits and Gravy Review : Wendys

After many years of internal recipe development and market testing Wendy's recently decided to get into the breakfast game.  AND biscuits and sausage gravy is on the menu!

Eventually I skeedaddled to the nearest Wendy's and said "GRUB ME UP!"



And they did.  Pricewise it was on par with Hardees, without the $1.99 Hardees coupon.  The biscuit was decent, about one point lower than Hardees.  The gravy was creamy and of a decent amount and there were actually nice sausage bits in there.  Flavorwise it was once again trailing Hardees by a point.  The biggest problem, though, was the tray.


Look at all that wasted gravy stuck in those crevices!  I was tempted to try to lick it out but it wasn't THAT good.  Based on this serving I'd definitely get this again... unless there was a Hardees nearby.

Which is what I did a few months later.  I was on the south end of town and needed a quick breakfast when I spied a Wendy's.  Alrighty then!  I was in luck!

Not.  So.  Quick.

The biscuit and gravy that I got this time was a completely different beast*.  This was a few months ago and I'm going from memory but I remember the gravy being thinner, there was barely any sausage and, I kid you not, the biscuits had a faint scent of cigarette smoke.  On a normal day I would have tossed them or gone back for my money but I was going to be doing a decent amount of physical labor that morning with no access to food... so I'm ashamed to say that I choked the whole mess down.

I live in a part of town that was developed in the early 1970s.  It's not well-to-do but it once was and it's decent and relatively safe.  The south end of town has a reputation of having problems so it's likely the Wendy's there can't get good help and yes, someone was probably smoking when they made my biscuits.  But last week I was on the west end of town which, while not as lah-tee-dah as the north end of town is still pretty ritzy and about twenty years ago was the hot spot of the city.  So when I found myself with time and hunger one morning I decided to give Wendy a chance to redeem herself.

 

This was much more like the Southtown Wendy's than the Georgetown Wendy's by my house.  The gravy was thin, the sausage sparse, and the biscuits... the biscuits were dense, flavorless sponges.  Well, there was a kind of odd aftertaste... This time I didn't finish even half of the serving even though there was no trace of cigarette smoke.  Lucky me!

Because of the inconsistent quality I don't think I can assign numbers to these.  I also don't think I'm going to risk getting breakfast at Wendy's, even at the one by my house.  Go ahead... compare the first and last pictures.  Do they look even remotely like they were made from the same recipe?

Oh Wendy... whatever did I do to you to deserve this?


* Sorry kids... no pictures of this one.

No comments: