Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Call It What You Will

For quite a few years I use my lunch on Wednesdays to read a chapter of a Biblical commentary (the other days of the week I use my lunch to gamble and force bums to fight but that's another post). I'm not bragging (if I read a chapter every day then maybe), just setting the basis for this tale.

I am about halfway through a giant study on the book of John by James Montgomery Boice. Giant in that it spans five books and weighs in at close to 2000 pages and about 300 chapters. Being in the middle this is obviously an undertaking undertook many years ago.

So today I opened up yonder book to chapter 135, John 11:4:
When he heard this Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it."

In the very first paragraph he mentions mankind's desire to know the future and that only God knows the future, specifically mentioning elections results as one of the things humans want to know.

The author then goes on to state that there are at least three reasons God lets us know that he knows the future: to let us know that His is God, to warn the ungodly of future judgement and to encourage his church.

I find it highly unlikely that it's coincidence that this encouraging chapter should be the one I read the day after this frightful election. In order for this to happen He would have had to orchestrate things years ago so that this chapter would fall on this particular day, just so I could have a morale boost. And if He's willing to go to such lengths just for a pick-me-up imagine what He'll do to watch over His children, even if they are under a tyrannical king.

No comments: