Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Twelve Steps

A recent review of my music database has revealed that I have 94 albums that I have yet to listen to and 16 that I am currently in the process of digesting plus about fifteen CDs-worth of classical music that needs my attention.

Doesn't everyone have a database of all their music?

Some stats, purely for my own amusement.

In Process albums contain albums from the new Ben Folds (growing on me but doubt it will ever be more than a 7), an old Atomic Opera, a Japanese avante-garde metal band Dir En Grey, Cindy Morgan, and scaterd-few.

Unlistened albums include Nick Drake, Gentle Giant, Mark Heard (found nearly all of his albums on eMusic!), Goblin, King Crimson, Nektar, YES, Sufjan Stevens and even Lisa Whelchel. Of Facts of Life? Yeah... I'm chomping at the bit to hear that one but it has one track written by Steve Taylor so perhaps there's some other good songs. Some of these will get two or three listens before being tossed into storage but there may be one or two that will become lifetime favorites. Doubtful but possible.

1199 CDs (rock) plus around 275 classical albums and scant time to enjoy them. It's like that Twilight Zone episode where the guy lives through a nuclear blast and now has all the time in the world to read but breaks his glasses. I'm not complaining, though. Blessed be the ties. One day, all too soon, the house will be all too quiet and I'll listen to a couple of hour-long classical compositions and read a few chapters of a novel and then I'll start wondering what Melynda is doing or when the grandkids will be coming over.

1 comment:

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

If I can be of assistance to you, I recommend that you listen to Nick Drake and Mark Heard. I don't see how you can go wrong.