Wednesday, September 24, 2008

WARNING: Boring Music Theory Post

If you’ll indulge a theory… Every now and then I’ve had someone who, after hearing a favorite odd album of mine a number of times will really start to like it. They suddenly get it and it's no longer strange. My theory is that music in general is something people are conditioned to. You hear a song for the first time on the radio and it’s just wallpaper- it barely registers. You hear it again and maybe you recognize the chorus melody. After ten times of hearing the song you really like it and after one hundred times you really hate it.

But it’s the passive radio listening that exposes people over and over to the music they come to like. Instead of waiting for the music to come to me (which describes all non-music freaks) I go searching for it. If you took a lot of the tripe that I listen to and put it on the radio the same number of times as, say, your average Blink 182 song it would have the same effect.
That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Doctoral thesis forthcoming.

No comments: